Pagespeed Facts and Stats shown by Google Chrome's Lighthouse Tool
If you care about SEO at all and you use Google Chrome - then you should be using Lighthouse to automate a bunch of the troubleshooting you do on your client's websites.
The great thing is that it is built into Google Chrome. You just have to right click on a web page, click 'inspect', then select the 'Audits' tab, and finally just click 'Perform an audit...'
Lighthouse will then run a bunch of accessibility, SEO, page rendering, page optimisation and other important tests on that page, and provide you with a nice report to export.
What's cool is that while you wait, it has started to show you interesting facts. The Lighthouse facts I've seen so far are listed below with a link to their source, hopefully you find these useful!
Lighthouse Facts from Think With Google
- 70% of mobile pages take nearly 7 seconds for the visual content above the fold to display on the screen.
- 70% of mobile pages weigh over 1MB, 36% over 2MB and 12% over 4MB.
- As the number of elements on a page increases from 400 to 6,000, the probability of conversion drops 95%.
- As page load time goes from one second to 3 seconds, the probability of a mobile site visitor bouncing increases 32%
- As page load time goes from one second to 5 seconds, the probability of a mobile site visitor bouncing increases 90%
- As page load time goes from one second to 6 seconds, the probability of a mobile site visitor bouncing increases 106%
- As page load time goes from one second to 10 seconds, the probability of a mobile site visitor bouncing increases 123%
Lighthouse Facts from Google DoubleClick blog
- 53% of all site visits are abandoned if page load takes more than 3 seconds
- 19 seconds is the average time a mobile web page takes to load on a 3G connection
- 14 seconds is the average time a mobile web page takes to load on a 4G Connection
- The BBC has seen a loss of 10% of their users for every extra second of page load.
- Rebuilding Pinterest pages for performance increased conversion rates by 15%.
- Walmart saw a 1% increase in revenue for every 100ms improvement in page load.
Lighthouse Facts from WPO Stats
- By reducing the response size of JSON needed for displaying comments, Instagram saw increased impressions.
Lighthouse Facts from WebPageTest and DevTools 3G Definition
- 1MB takes a minimum of 5 seconds to download on a typical 3G connection
Lighthouse Facts from Google Developers Blog
- If a site takes >1 second to become interactive, users lose attention, and their perception of completing the page task is broken.
Lighthouse Facts from International Data Corporation
- The average user devices costs less than 200 USD
Lighthouse Facts from Lighthouse team
- Lighthouse only simulates mobile performance; to measure performance on a real device, try WebPageTest.org
Lighthouse Facts from GSMA Mobile
- 75% of global mobile users in 2016 were on 2G or 3G.
While you're here...
- I am trying to find independent shops in the UK to sell quirky themed gift hampers for instant pickup at high street stores.
- By bundling different products into a gift box the store can upsell, while the buyer gets a discount on a bulk purchase. It's win-win!
- If you can think of a local shop you love who might be open to gotchibox getting in contact with them, please email me.
- Please also take a look at all the hampers we have available on gotchibox so far
- If you happen to know someone in Battersea who would love a vegan protein power hamper as a gift, then just click add to cart below!